So with so many different insurance career options, how do you know which one is right for you?
Let’s start with 3 basic questions:
- What kind of work you like to do?
- What personality type are you?
- What is your preferred work environment / location?
Now, think about the jobs you have enjoyed the most and least so far in your career.
Next, think about what kind of work you want to be doing in your next position.
Here’s some questions to help you get started:
- Are you a “sit at your desk in front of a computer type?”
- Do you prefer to be out of the office meeting and talking to people?
- Do you prefer to be on a team, be the team leader, or work independently?
- Are you detail-oriented, organized, and like to follow defined processes?
- Do you like analyzing reports and working with numbers?
- Do you want your income to be the same each month?
- Do you find yourself thinking often about new business opportunities?
- Does a career in sales excite you or scare you?
- Do you like to help people over the phone or online?
- Do you want to work 40 hours/week and go home, or do you want to have a position that is more than 40 hours and requires after-hours networking events and travel?
Now, let’s see how your natural skill set matches up to your job aspirations.
Note: Most of the entry-level insurance positions you will interview for will have some type of personality profile assessment testing. The companies want to make sure that you have the right hard and soft skills and the emotional intelligence to be successful in the insurance industry.
So let’s get started!